Truck tents have steadily increased in popularity as more people learn about them. They are especially popular with families – they would like to enjoy the pleasures of the camping lifestyle without suffering some of the hardships. In this article, we will discuss the best camping tents for pickup trucks.
It is no wonder then that many are gravitating to them, preferring them over traditional camping tents. This article compiles the camping tents for pickup trucks available in the market.
A Truck Tent Camper
These Truck tents are the innovative response given by the market to customers who like camping but hate sleeping on the ground. On the ground, one is never completely safe. Sleeping on your truck’s bed is more comfortable than sleeping on the ground. This tent converts the hard bed of your pickup truck into a comfy, protected sleeping space.
For example, while the truck tent bed is not bug-infested, the ground is. And when you are safely off the ground, you fear wild animals less. And let’s not forget that it’s easier and quicker to set up a truck tent than the regular ones.
Due to such advantages, using a truck tent makes it possible for younger children to accompany their parents on camping trips. Whether a truck tent is appropriate or not for you depends on a variety of reasons. For instance, the model of your vehicle – some truck tent models are designed and made for specific vehicles or vehicle types.
Things To Keep In Mind
Before buying the best camping tents for pickup trucks you should consider:
If a truck tent is right for you or not depends on the size of your truck. Big trucks require bigger tents and smaller vehicles require bigger tents. Otherwise, there will be an issue with compatibility and you will note that the tent does not readily fit your truck.
2. Vehicle Model
Your vehicle model can also cause compatibility problems. For instance, some tents are made for use with SUVs while others may be most compatible with pickup trucks.
The rainfly will ensure that you are properly protected from the rain and the wind when it rages all around you at night and you seek refuge in the dry, cozy atmosphere within the tent.
There are two types of camping tents: three-season tents and four-season tents. The three seasons are summer, spring, and autumn. The fourth one is, of course, winter.
Three-season tents tend to be lightweight while four-season ones are often heavier and have extra poles for support and stability. If you expect light weather, choose the three-season camping tent; and the four-season tent for tough weather.
5. Tent Poles
The poles provide the support and stability your tent requires. They also determine how heavy the tent will be – the more poles a tent has, the heavier it will be.
The type of material from which the poles are made will also have a hand in determining if the tent will be heavier or lighter. For example, aluminum is the best bet if you are camping in a windy area.
The number of poles in a tent has depended on the size of the tent. And if you want quick and easy setup, choose color-coded poles that go with matching sleeves.
10 Best Truck Tent Campers
Below we have reviewed some of the best camping tents for pickup trucks.
Napier Enterprises Napier Backroadz Truck Tent
Just because you are going camping and you want to commune with nature, it doesn’t mean that you have to go all the way and sleep on the ground. Truck tents for camping are the answer, and this one from Napier enterprises will ensure you have a most enjoyable camping experience.
All you have to do is lay down a mattress and set up the tent on the back of your truck. Fortunately, the tent has a quick and easy setup process – it should take you approximately ten minutes. This tent is among one of the best camping tents for pickup trucks.
Sleeping on a mattress in your truck is far more comfortable than sleeping on the ground in the outdoors. And you will agree with me that it’s safer – you never know what may be lurking or prowling in the dark.
- Sewn-in floor
- 4 large windows which provide ventilation
- Storm flap in the door which enables privacy
- The roomy interior of 5 feet, 5 inches
- Poll shock-corded fiberglass poles
- One-year limited manufacturer’s warranty
Rightline Gear 110750 Full-Size Short Truck Bed Tent
And if you are searching for the best truck camper, but this model from Rightline Gear in your list of potentials. Camping is an enjoyable thing, but there are parts of it that can get rather tiresome. For instance, setting up a tent on the ground is not a walk in the park. If you are tired of dealing with tarps, stakes, and guy lines, it’s time you purchased a good truck tent.
But that doesn’t mean that you don’t have to do anything anymore; bit the work will certainly be less. Setup will be much easier, especially with this particular tent. For instance, due to the tent’s floorless design, you won’t have to remove your gear from the bed when you want to set up or take down the tent. For that reason, you will finish the task in a jiffy. This tent is among one of the best camping tents for pickup trucks.
- Floorless design enables faster setup
- It consists of a tent, rainfly, stuff sack, and sewn-in set up guide
- Water-resistant fabric with tape-sealed seams (PU 2000mm)
- Protects from heavy-duty straps and nylon buckles, won’t damage truck’s finish.
Kodiak Canvas Truck Bed Tent Review:
Its compatibility is not with smaller trucks since their truck beds are too narrow. Instead, it requires something between 65 and 75 inches wide. This truck tent was made for full-size truck beds.
Being a canvas tent, it is structurally sounder than most tents. And thanks to the durability of the material, the tent is bound to last a long time.
- Works with full-size bed trucks
- Not compatible with smaller trucks
- Made of canvas materials
Guide Gear Full-Size Truck Tent Review
It is not easy to figure out which is the best truck tent for you, but this Guide Gear truck camper might just be the thing you are looking for. In terms of setup time, it can compete with the best of them. This tent is among one of the best camping tents for pickup trucks.
It enables you to complete setup within a matter of minutes. You can then get into the comfortable environment of the camper, away from the cold and the mosquitoes out in the night and enjoy a snooze. Rather than sleep on the hard ground, you get to sleep in your truck – the two main advantages are increased comfort and safety.
- Sewn-in polyethylene flooring
- A large interior area with 5.25 feet of headroom
- Mesh windows for ventilation
- 2 storage pocketed
- Includes heavy-duty, weather-resistant polyester carrying bags
Classic Accessories OverDrivePolyPro 3 Deluxe Camper Cover
If you own an RV, this camper cover is the best option for you. It will serve you in all kinds of weather, from super wet to super cold. Thanks to its heavy-duty triple-ply PolyPro 3 fabric top, the camper cover provides superior weather protection against rain, snow, dirt, nicks, and scratches. This tent is among one of the best camper tents for pickup trucks.
- It has Adjustable front and rear tension panels and elasticized hem corners provide a custom fit
- It has Integrated air vent system combined with quick-drying PolyPro 1 sides reduce wind stress and vents inside moisture
- Heavy-duty, triple-ply PolyPro 3 fabric top protects against rain, snow, dirt, nicks, and scratches
- Single-ply PolyPro sides protect while reducing bulk
- It has Integrated rope attachment system and a provided toss bag which help reduce crawling under the RV
DAC Full-Size Truck Tent:
And If you are looking for the best truck camper, consider this DAC full-size truck tent. It allows you to convert the vehicle into a complete camping unit. But it has some preconditions for which types of vehicles are compatible with it.
For instance, it will fit vehicles with rear windows that rise up and out and a tailgate equal to or greater than 58 inches wide. It is ideal for full-size vehicles or SUV’s that have a tailgate, but it will not fit vehicles that have an external rear-mounted spare tire. This tent is among one of the best camper tents for pickup trucks.
- Fits vehicles with a rear window that raises up and out, and a tailgate equal to or greater than 58 inches wide
- Fits high-back and flat-back camper tops
- Can be fit in full-size vehicles or SUV’s with a tailgate
- Fits over the carrier, rack, or airfoiled
- The Outer door panels fold up and tie back for maximum ventilation or zip and tie at bottom corners for privacy
- Roof and walls are coated polyester
Guide Gear 6-by-6-Foot Compact Truck Tent Review:
So long as you own a truck, you have no reason to sleep on the ground when you go camping. With the help of this 6-by-6-foot truck tent from Guide Gear, you can transform your truck bed into a camping site. Not only will you sleep more comfortably, but you will also be safer.
- Sewn-in polyethylene flooring
- The large interior area with 5.25 feet of headroom
- 190T polyester with 1500mm water-resistant coating
- If has Shock-corded fiberglass poles and tension straps anchor to vehicle
- Includes heavy-duty, weather-resistant polyester carrying bags
- Fits most full-size beds
Sportz Truck Tent:
Why not make camping a whole lot easier? All you need is this truck camper tent. Thanks to the color-coded pole and sleeve system, setting it up will only take ten short minutes. You no longer have to pitch your tent on the ground. In spite of this, you can turn your truck bed into a comfortable, cozy, restful sleeping area.
Some of the truck tents end up causing damage to the truck’s finish, but not this one. And It comes with a set of strap protectors which will protect your truck against the tent’s straps. Also, it has an expandable carrying bag which will come in handy for storage purposes.
- It Includes a set of strap protectors which provide protection (for the truck) against the tent’s straps
- Sleeps 2 people, and has over 5.6 feet of headroom
- Sewn-in floor
- The large rear-access panel allows access to the truck’s cab for additional storage
- It has Side vents, 2 mesh windows, and large entrance door provide ventilation
- No need for guide ropes; the 4 x 4 feet shade-awning secures to the tailgate, allowing it to be set up anywhere
Sportz Avalanche Truck tent III
As truck tents for camping go, this is a solid piece, and it has a slew of great features as you will see. For one, it’s a roomy tent and can easily hold two people. It has 5.5 feet of headroom.
And thanks to the color-coded, shock-corded fiberglass poles, setting it up is rather a breeze. Within approximately ten minutes, you will be through with it, and ready to begin your next task.
- Color-coded, shock-corded fiberglass poles for a fast and easy setup
- 1 large entrance door and 1 rear access door enables you to come into the truck’s cab through the tent
- Has 2 interior pockets and gear loft which enable you to keep your gear organized and off the floor
- 2 large no-see-um mesh windows and ceiling vents allow for greater ventilation
- It Includes 2 small windows in the floor to utilize the truck’s bed cargo lights
Rightline Gear 110907 SUV Tent:
If you are looking for something versatile, then this is it. It is easy to disconnect this SUV tent from the vehicle to enable standalone use.
That said, however, the main reason for purchasing a truck tent will always be our desire to get off the ground. Sleeping on the ground is not comfortable. Besides, one is never sure what is out there prowling.
- Easily disconnects from the vehicle for standalone use
- Adjustable vehicle sleeves
- It is compatible with the back of an SUV, minivan, wagon, crossover, Jeep Wrangler, hardtop, or pickup truck with cap, with or without a roof rack
- It can Work for vehicles with a rear hatch door or rear barn doors
- Water-resistant fabric with tape-sealed seams
- It has large windows and doors with no-see-um mesh and storm covers
10 Best Camping Tents For Pickup Trucks
Below we have listed some of the best camping tents for pickup trucks.
- Napier Enterprises Napier Backroadz Truck Tent
- Rightline Gear 110750 Full-Size Short Truck Bed Tent
- Kodiak Canvas Truck Bed Tent
- Guide Gear Full-Size Truck Tent
- Classic Accessories OverDrivePolyPro 3 Deluxe
- DAC Full-Size Truck Tent
- Guide Gear 6-by-6-Foot Compact Truck Tent
- Sportz Truck Tent
- Sportz Avalanche Truck tent III
- Rightline Gear 110907 SUV Tent
The primary advantages of truck camper tents are quick setup, comfortable sleep, and increased security. Rather than sleep on the ground, I would very much rather make my truck’s bed a camping site, and I know that’s what you would prefer as well.
Our pick for the best is Rightline Gear 110750 Full-Size Short Truck Bed Tent.