We're an affiliate
We hope you love the products we recommend! Just so you know, we may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page. Thank you if you use our links, we really appreciate it!
Have you ever experienced the problem of some awful and suspicious rotten egg smell from car? Let’s consider such a situation. You were in a very nice mood to go on a weekend trip and got everything ready for it, but as you enter your car some suspicious bad rotten egg odour just spoiled your mood. You got to completely check out the car as if it is the consequence of some silly mistake or somebody’s mischievous plan to trouble you. But you could not find any such thing in the vicinity of the car.
So, now the head rolled and you are wondering, “what the hell it is?” If you get in such trouble then don’t worry, here is this article for you. In this article, we are going to discuss the possible reasons responsible for rotten egg smell from the car and ways or some methods to solve such problem. So, please be with us here throughout the article.
Possible Reasons For Rotten Egg Smell From Car
There can be several reasons for the rotten egg-like smell coming from the car. A rotten egg smell from car often indicates a malfunctioning part in the fuel system. If the catalytic converter, fuel filters, or fuel pressure sensors are worn out or damaged, the poisonous and highly inflammable gas called Hydrogen Sulphide which smells liken rotten egg can leak out and make its way into your car’s cabin.
One other potential reason can be some problem with the battery system of your car. Sulphuric acid is used in car batteries and if somehow it is leaking it can generate the same Hydrogen Sulphide gas in some amount which results in the rotten egg smell from the battery of the car.
How To Get Rid Of Egg Smell In Car?
So now let us come to the point of fixing the issue of rotten egg smell inside the car. So, let us see the key points here. First of all, you need to diagnose that where the proper issue lies. So, start the checkout by battery system and if it lies fine then move towards the catalytic converter and then move towards the fuel systems like fuel filter and fuel pressure sensors. So here we will, first of all, see how to check out the flaws in the battery system.
1. Diagnosing The Battery System
- The first step is to make sure your skin and clothing are safe from the acid.
- Check out the smell in the area of the battery system, if the smell is being stronger there, then proceed further and if there are no smell traces in that area then go for the fuel system.
- Double-bag the battery, be sure to check for leaks by the metal prongs, dispose of the battery if any visible damage has occurred.
- Neutralize the battery acid with baking soda. Cover any areas you see with acid in a thick layer of baking soda.
- Replace the battery with a new battery.
2. Diagnosing The Catalytic Converter
A catalytic converter is an exhaust emission device that reduces toxic gases and pollutants in exhaust gas from an internal combustion engine into less toxic pollutants by catalyzing a redox reaction. We can diagnose the catalytic converter without actually opening it up with the help of a normal scanner or GDS system of the car. So, here we are going to discuss how to diagnose it.
- For this, you need to analyze the data driven by the upstream oxygen sensors and downstream control oxygen sensors.
- First, for the convenience of reading bring out the data in graphical mode.
- In the normal conditions, in the data of upstream oxygen sensor the voltage fluctuates from 50 mV to 900 mV, and in the data of downstream control oxygen sensors, the voltage remains almost constant at some particular magnitude with a slightly possible fluctuation.
- If the graphs of both upstream and downstream control oxygen sensors are looking almost same and fluctuating a lot, then it indicates some serious damage to the catalytic converter.
- If there is some fault in the catalytic converter then the converter needs to be replaced with a new one and as the catalytic converters are quite expensive it is going to cost much more.
- Now, before replacing it with a new one, you need to check out the reasons for the failure of catalytic converters. The main reason for the failure of the catalytic converter is improper combustion. Improperly burnt fuel passing through catalytic converter causes the damage. There can be the inefficiency of the combustion chamber or there can be the problem of unsuitable fuel being used or more amount of fuel getting in the chamber than its capacity to burn. There can be problems in fuel filters or fuel pressure sensors if the engine is working fine. So, check out these systems and make sure to fix the basic problems. So, let’s look forward to checking out the fuel systems.
3. Diagnosing The Fuel System
- Check out the fuel filter system and make sure to cleanse it properly and find out if there is any visible defect.
- Check out the fuel pressure sensors and look for any visible defects possible.
- Then check out the fuel pressure sensor with the help of the pressure gauge instrument and make sure if it is working fine.
- Then ascend to carefully look out for other areas of the system and look after some visible defects.
- Replace the defective systems with the new ones and make sure to get the system at proper work.
Now, concluding our discussion with some possible measures you should take on a regular basis to avoid such a condition of rotten egg smell from car. These are:-
- Check regularly for the health of the battery systems of the car.
- Use always good quality proper fuel as the impure fuels can trigger damage to the catalytic convertor.
- Always use the correct fuel recommended for vehicle unlike using diesel as fuel in a gasoline engine.
So, here we discussed the possible reasons behind the rotten egg-like smell coming from the car and also discussed the ways of checking out the main problem and finally resolve the issue. In the end, there are some recommendations, so that to avoid such issues. So, in the end, be happy and enjoy your drives in your car. All the best!