While driving, just after a minute you hear a strange sound coming from your car. Before you turn up the radio volume high, just go out from the car, listen to that sound and find out the source where the sound is coming from.
Cars generally make noise when they start up, accelerate, and then take a turn which is very common in nature but if an unfamiliar and weird sound arises from the car, the car is ready for maintenance.
Before going for maintenance you should know why we hear the common car noises and what they mean. Sometimes the noise is simple due to the transmission fluid and other times it may be serious.
Why We Hear The Common Car Noises And What They Mean?
As we know that early detection can save you money and prevent further serious damage. So here we go to discuss the most common car noises and what they mean.
1. Growling Noise
If you hear this type of growling noise from the car while changing the gear though it frequently occurs which might occur because there is a low transmission level fluid. When gears teeth were accelerated, this sound arises due to lack of lubricant, not proper maintenance, contamination, or high mileage.
2. Noise Arise When You Dragging Clutch
If you hear this type of uncustomized sound while dragging clutch, you have to go for maintenance. This arises when shifting from neutral to gear which means when dragging clutch fails to connect the clutch disk from the flywheel in your vehicle.
3. Grinding Noise When Shifting The Gear
If you hear this type of grinding sound while shifting the gear, you have to go for maintenance. This might arise due to low transmission fluid and damage in the internal transmission component.
4. Humming Noise
If you hear this type of humming noise, you have to go for maintenance. This sound arises only when damaged in the shaft and shaft end play spacer. So, we hear the common car noises
5. Growling Noise In The Fourth Gear
Fourth gear only necessary only when in direct drive. If you hear this growling sound when you put in fourth gear, you required maintenance. This normally arises from the output shaft pilot roller but rare in the input shaft which supports the output shaft.
6. Grinding Noise While Moving
If you hear this type of grinding sound, you have to go for maintenance. This arises in the input shaft of the gear and can be heard at any gear at any speed.
7. Growling Noise When In Neutral
If you hear this type of growling noise when the transmission is neutral and the clutch is engaged, you have to go for maintenance. This occurs due to the damage in counter gear, countershaft, and inner shaft of the transmission or damage in the input shaft front of the transaxle.
8. Growling Noise When In forwarding And Reverse Gear
If you hear this growling sound while in forward and reverse gear, you have to put the car for maintenance. This occurs when damaged in the output shaft of gear.
9. Growling Noise When Gear Is Moving
If you hear this type of growling sound while a gear is moving, you have to up the car in maintenance. This sound arises when damaged on the output shaft rear of transmission or front of transaxle.
10. Clicking Noise
If you hear this type of Clicking noise in any gear range, you have to go for maintenance. This arises due to the damage on the counter gear, on a cluster gear on an output shaft, and input shaft gear of a transaxle.
11. Banging Noise
If you hear this type of banging sound while releasing the clutch pedal on first gear, you have to go for maintenance. This arises due to the car is dealing with a cracked, damaged transmission or engine mount.
12. Roaring Noise
If you hear this type of roaring noise, it always arises from the tire.
Prevention From Common Noise
It’s important to pay the attention to the noise your car makes and take care of things. After dealing with the common car noises and what they mean, learn about how to get read of it.
1. Primary Way To Treat The Car
1. Always check the transmission fluid whenever necessary and as recommend by the manufacturer
2. Use the correct type of fluid
3. Take a look under the car when your suspect fluid leak.
4. Use the best quality of fluid.
5. Tires and wheels should be checked regularly.
2. After Getting Alert From Car
When you hear the weird sound what to do next
1. First always, check the engine and transmission mount whenever hear this type of weird sound.
2. After hearing humming, whining, and clunking noise, just rush to a local mechanics to a look
3. If your gear slip while driving, make sure you let go to the local mechanics for repairing.
4. If you get an odor of burning smell, just rush to the mechanics for maintenance. this odor occurs due to overheating of the transmission
5. Replace the tire whenever you hear the roaring sound.
6. Sometimes popping noise is heard by the driver which is very common only if your engine has low fuel.
7. If transmission fluid indicate another color rather than red or pink, please change the fluid as it becomes old or burnt
8. High viscosity lubricant always tends to reduce noise. So use an appropriate lubricant.
9. If you hear the grinding sound, take the car to the automatic transmission specialist for proper maintenance.
Whenever the first noise appears. determine or investigate its source. If the noise is coming from transmission just replace the necessary parts as soon as possible. If you cant investigate the source of the problem, don’t wait to find out the solution just rush to the nearby mechanics or garage for proper maintenance for the future of your car. It will avoid costly repair later on. Understanding the weird noise of the car when you are driving become handy only when you know about unfamiliar sound.
If peace of mind and money are important to you, before preventing a huge problem, just call the mechanics or just take it to a nearby garage.